Kit stop


There's been a Revolution

I've been excitedly waiting.... for my latest bit of kit. UltraAspire let me loose on the Revolution (REV). I've a few packs and sacks that I tend to swap around according to what i'm doing, however I was in need of a product that works for me during ultras. Nothing too big as i'm more likely to put the kitchen sink in there and lets face it the kitchen sink is superfluous on a run! I don't need half of the stuff I pack in a bigger rucksack and so in my quest to 'whittle it down' I opted for something small, however it needed to carry my bottle for me, as: I'm lazy, and: I like my hands free... oh, and I hate hydration tubes and that floppy bit of plastic that you fill with liquid! Bladder.. yuk

Waist packs, I love em, however they can be a faff when you've shoved everything in and it all falls out every time you open it. The gel I'm fumbling for is often found it's way to the bottom, at the back, under all the kit (that I don't need) and it's everything out then everything in to get at it. What started out as a really organised pack, everything in it's place and carefully packed, ends up being a mix of clothing, empty gel sachets, crumbs, plastic bags and a sticky compass. Oh... and a hair clip, I always find a 'hair clip' in my sacks and packs. I don't use hair clips when running... yet there is always a hair clip. Regardless, waist packs are great for the shorter races when minimal fumbling is needed, yet, not user friendly enough for me on the longer stuff.

So, a pack that is small, has everything to hand, none of this stopping lark to faff for bits and bobs on the move and the REV looks like it might satisfy.




So, I'm not about to launch into a full review, that's not the point, however I wanted to let you know about what I thought generally. 

I tested it yesterday for the first time. I had a run with a friend and seriously awesome runner Iain Ridgeway. He laughed and sniggered every time the bottle fell out of my lovely new Rev. However, and importantly, this was the only real design (ish) fault I can complain about. The bottle only fell out (spilling all contents) when I was taking the vest on and off. During the 20 mile run, the bottle stayed exactly where it was housed... In it's only lil pouch! In addition, I'm a tot and I had the straps pulled as tight at they would go and it was still too big! I'll just have to eat more cake!! 

Otherwise.. it's a great vest, the pockets are just about big enough for essentials, they are conveniently placed, everything to hand, there was no 'rooting around' I knew exactly where my kit was and it didn't look like all of it had been thrown in a washing machine together at the end of the session. I couldn't over load it, (yey) and It was just about big enough to carry the essentials! I like my new toy, but I liked Mam Tor mor....



Comments