Taubertal 100


100m, 100k, 71k and 50k options
6th October 2018
100 Miles from Rothenburg to Gemunden (161km)

What compels someone to tackle the 100 mile distance race? There's no doubt, that in the short period I've been ultra running that the sport has had a 'big bang'.
There are more and more runners joining the ultra scene and unsurprisingly, they are loving it. I've added an insight as to my thoughts on an approach to going to mastering the distance.

100 miles is, of course beyond the scope of most sedentary individuals to conceptualise, in fact to drive in a vehicle of 100 miles requires many to make it a mini holiday, with perhaps an overnight stop in a swanky Hotel, Motel, Shack, Den, or Tent. The suitcase inevitably has the entire contents of their home in it, and it's all pretty exhausting to drive for hours and accustom yourself to being on the road for that period in time. 

So, to run it! To actually run, 100 miles, there are three frequent responses:

Response 1 
Ultra Tim......Hey Bob, I'm going to run 100 miles'
Bob Sitalot .................................silent......stare........'oh, er, that's good'
UT............... 'Yeah, do you run or anything?'
BS............... 'No' ...........anyway........good to see you man'
UT................ 'Yeah........you too buddy'
Bob Sitalot ...'Yeah'

Response 2 
Ultra Tim.. 'Hey Speedy, how you doing, long time no see'
Speedy .... 'Hey Tim, whats happening?
UT............ 'i've been running a lot more these days Speedy' 
S ..............'cool' What's your next race?'
UT............ 'Doing a 100 miler Speedy'
S ....'cool, What's your 5k time'?

Response 3
Ultra Tim ' Hey
Inc Wirey 'HI Tim, are you still doing running'?
UT .... oh yeah, more than ever in fact I've entered a 100 mile race'
IW.......(Silence...shakes head).....100 miles, what, run 100 miles, all of them, 'are you kidding. How do you sleep?, I mean what about eating?, doesn't it hurt your knees?, 100 miles, running? Are you crazy? You are mad! People run 100 miles. 

So, I'd like to tackle some of Inc Wirey's questions as like I told Bob and Speedy, I'm going to run 100 miles. Gulp. 

Now, I'll be honest, I've not ran the distance before. Yes, I've ran shorter, I've ran further, and now, I'm going to have fun with that magic number. 

I want to race a well established race of either 100km or 100miles later this year. This has led me to Germany. Having taken time out from the mountains over the last year, I'm far from 'hill fit' and so decided to focus on a flatter more runnable race. I've found the one that ticks all the boxes for where I'm at right now. The Taubertal 100. It carries the IAU Bronze quality label, something that interests me as I am confident that the length of the course has been verified ensuring that the 100 miles, means, well, 100 miles. (Press me). The website has a plethora of race rice information and even includes tips for the speeds you need to travel to tackle the different  race distances (of which there are 4)


Training
There are three staple run types that I'll do when focusing on this ultra. Endurance, Easy recovery and a Speed endurance. 

Endurance - Essentially the backbone of the plan. If you want to run long, you have to 'run long'. Historically I've completed back to back long runs in the 'build up' endurance to races, were there is a peak of longest runs, about three weeks out from the race. I'll be adding the miles on week by week, in order to gradually reach the time on feet that I'm comfortable with in order complete the race itself albeit over back to back runs within the same week. I'm a huge advocate of being race specific, so if focusing on a trail, race, run trails, if a 12 hour or  24 hour lapped route, train loops, if a mountain race, get out in the mountains, it speaks for itself.  I'm also an advocate for not running empty unspecific miles simply because you think you need to run loads all the time as an ultra runner.

I agree that once you have a solid endurance base, built up over years, then it's generally superfluous to flog yourself week after week after week (I was there for years and it's a huge misconception and would take a discussion in it's own right to thrash out). Moreover, I take the view that it's necessary to build miles 10-15% each week in terms of volume and then only to reach peak just before the taper. Run less equals staying fresh enough for quality runs and faster recovery, to run massive distances or times for months is simply counter productive. Importantly, the LSD allows adaptions in the body to tackle the enormity of the distances being run. Certainly I'll use these training runs to monitor and highlight weakness'. There then becomes an opportunity to work on those weakness's and become a stronger having covered potential eventualities.

To finish with a few thoughts on LDS runs there are occasions when I'll do a faster finish on long runs. Again building endurance, and helping to build confidence in that no matter how tired you perceive you are, you'll be surprised how much of that is simply choosing to believe a single thought that crossed your mind 20 minutes ago. And in fact you can choose to dismiss that thought, instead, whilst you accept that you are certainly more fatigued than when you started, you still have so much more than you are giving yourself credit for and indeed you have the capacity to continue to push through in order that adaptions can occur and you get to know yourself better. 

Easy recovery runs, will form the rest of the running throughout a week until the speed session and long runs again. I adore easy runs, I take off the GPS, I don't care about speed, or distance, or figures, numbers, anything, go out and run to feel, easy, turning legs over, keeping moving, no pressure, no expectations, and running for enjoyment whilst allowing my body to recover. Usually I'm jogging these, sometimes I'll shuffle them. I'm not afraid to have the mental break from running either, so where recover needs to back of the running world in order that mental fatigue can rebuild, then I'll cycle or swim for recovery. This ensures my longevity with running. 


The Speed sessions are tailored to be race specific with a focus on speed endurance. I've never seriously 'trained' for anything shorter than 50km, there is no need to be a fast 400m runner when racing 50km (arguably). So speed sessions focus on km or mile repeats, tempo runs up to 90 mins. They will help build strength that will keep me strong later in the race, when fatigue starts to creep in. When you are still progressing and adapting in aerobic capacity, then these runs are essential even in ultras. 

Taking a look at the The Taubertal 100's profile, this has the potential for a 'fast 100 mile run as there is only a total of ascent of 440m and in fact, this is essentially a 'down hill' race given the descent is 695m. When training hard, I become more mindful of my heart rate and whilst I don't train specifically using the HR methods, (and yes I've experienced that type of training) now, i simply listen to my body and let it guide me for what it's ready to do. I trust my perceived effort rate and don't care what pace that is, because if my heart rate is spiking for a few days, then more recovery is necessary so I'll do it. I'm not an advocate of over training I've learnt that hard lesson that many distance runners go through but fail to see at the time. I'm a lucky one as I caught it before the consequences ended my running years. I do however enjoy using short races as speed sessions too. A park run for a speedy fartlek run in the middle of a longer 10 miles, or a half marathon for a tempo run, or a marathon for a speed endurance. It's fun to race these races without expectation upon yourself as the focus is a speed session not a win for example. Inevitably however these races are ran with more conviction than a road run locally where you're bored or lacking motivation for example. They are also useful to practice race strategies. I've even been known to take poles and use them on flat races in order to practice getting poles out, and putting them back again and again in a race. Or practice nutrition and working out what you can stomach and what you can't under race conditions, or how much you need to pack in your backpack etc. I intend to discuss in race nutrition strategy for The Taubertal 100 as the race nears, let me know if you'd find it useful to share on here. 

Importantly in terms of training I believe that building a 'habit' is paramount and crucial to success. Committing yourself to a training plan and implementing it by what ever means you can, day after day or run after run, needs to embed itself. The result is that on the days your motivation is low, somehow as you're telling yourself you are not going for that early morning run, because it's too cold, you're actually lacing up your trail shoes, because, it's become automatic behaviour. It takes approximately 30 days to build a habit, where you'll need to be consistent and relentlessly focused. The positive rewards for your determination will no doubt show themselves in time. 



I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into The Taubertal 100 mile race. I enjoy the process of training more than I enjoy racing. I am excited to see how I progress over the 10 weeks and hope to share the journey as I go along. I'll leave you with a few flicks from the previous racers in The Taubertal over the years, and see if you can work out why I've chosen this race. The facebook page is available facebook.com/taubertal100/


















Comments